Not only do these PB&J Superfood Bites taste like you’re biting into your favourite childhood snack (minus the gluten and refined sugar), they’re also packed full of gut-loving fermented nutrients. Make them ahead and store in your freezer for the perfect on-the-go snack.
Super Berry Good Chia Jam
- 1 cup of fresh or frozen strawberries
- 2 cups of fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- 3 tbsp of chia seeds
- 2 tbsp of maple syrup
- 2 scoops of fermented organic gut superfoods+ in Summer Berry Pomegranate flavour
- 1/2 cup of almonds
- 1 cup of gluten free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup of organic peanut butter
- 3 tbsp of almond butter
- 2 tbsp of dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp of golden raisins
- 1/4 tsp of cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 tbsp of maple syrup
- 7 medjool dates (make sure to de-seed them before using them!)
- 1 tbsp of fermented organic gut superfoods+ in Summer Berry Pomegranate flavour
Step 1: Make the Super Berry Good Chia Jam
- Make the Super Berry Good Chia Jam at least a few hours before you make the energy balls. Place berries, and sweetener into a medium pot over medium heat uncovered. Bring berries to a simmer, and berries should begin to soften and break down. Once the mix has come to a simmer, stir frequently for 10 minutes.
- Once berries have released some water and are soft, use a potato masher (or fork) mash the mix. Once mashed, add the chia seeds and lemon juice. Give the mix a good stir and continue to simmer on low to medium heat for another 10 minutes or so. Stir frequently.
- When the jam has thickened, remove the pot from the heat and transfer to a bowl and let it cool. Once it reaches room temperature, stir in 2 scoops of Genuine Health’s Fermented Organic Gut Superfoods+ Summer Berry Pomegranate flavour.
- Transfer to an air-tight container and let it sit in the fridge for at least 3 hours, or for best results overnight until you’re ready to use it. (Any extras can be stored in an air-tight container in the fridge for one week.)
Step 2: Make the PB + J Bites
- Soak the dates in warm water.
- Place the almonds into a food processor and pulse until they become crumbly.
- Add in all of the rest of the ingredients into the food processor. Including the soaked dates (make sure to deseed them before putting them into the food processor). Pulse and mix well. You may have to stop and mix manually a couple of times to make sure the ingredients mix well and don’t get stuck on the bottom. Once the mix is fully mixed together you can either ripple through 5-6 tbsp of the Super Berry Good Chia Jam and place the mixture in the fridge for 1 hour OR add in 5-6 tbsp of the superfood to the Chai Jam into the food processor and process together until mixed with the PB mixture. Both options taste GREAT – just depends on if you would like the ripple effect or not!
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, take the PB+J mix out of the fridge after sitting for 1 hour and get rolling! Use a tablespoon to scoop out portions. Roll and place on the parchment paper. Once you’ve rolled the entire batch of bites, place into the freezer until you’re ready to enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Best enjoyed slightly thawed.