Move over pumpkin spice, it’s gingerbread season! This time of year can be filled with loads of family gatherings, cookie swaps and treats. These Gingerbread Energy Bites are naturally sweetened with dates and loaded with tummy-filling and blood sugar balancing fibre, protein and fat – they’ll be your new go-to recipe for a healthy twist on the holiday favourite, gingerbread cookies.
Tip: Make these vegan by swapping out fermented Greek yogurt proteins+ for fermented vegan proteins+.
- 1 c. whole almonds
- 1 c. large flake oats
- ¼ c. hemp seeds
- 2 scoops vanilla fermented Greek yogurt proteins+ OR fermented vegan proteins+
- 5 Tbsp. molasses
- 2 Tbsp. almond or cashew butter
- 12 pitted dates
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- ⅛ tsp. cloves
- pinch sea salt
- 2-4 Tbsp. plain unsweetened almond milk
- ground and/or finely chopped almonds (for rolling the bites in)
- hemp seeds (for rolling the bites in)
- Place all of the ingredients up to and including the sea salt in a food processor and process until the mixture resembles a very fine crumb, scraping down the sides if needed.
- Add the almond milk one tablespoon at a time until the mixture just sticks together and easily rolls into a ball: you may not need all of the milk.
- Roll 2 teaspoons of the mixture into a ball using the palms of your hands and roll each ball in either the ground almonds, chopped almonds or the hemp seeds. Set aside and repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Store in the refrigerator or freezer.