Bet you never thought you could make your own “cream cheese” from macadamia nuts! Joy’s 100% plant-based recipe is creamy, yummy and bursting with flavour! This digestion-friendly, kid-friendly cheese is the perfect addition to your next snack platter.
- 2 cups macadamia nuts, soaked in water for 4-6 hours
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1-2 tsp dried parsley
- 1-2 tsp dried basil
- 1-2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 capsules advanced gut health probiotic 15 billion CFU
- 1-2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Pinch sea salt or rock salt
- After nuts have soaked, drain water and give them a quick rinse.
- In a food processor or high-power blender place nuts and water. Blend until smooth. Next add apple cider vinegar and blend some more until creamy. See my notes at the bottom.
- Add dried herbs, garlic, probiotics (open capsules and pour probiotics into mixture), nutritional yeast and salt. Blitz again just until combined.
- Scrape out the mixture on to a cheese cloth or nutbag so it’s breathable and form into a round shape. Place a cooling rack on top of a bowl. Place cheese on top of cooling rack (see my video) so it’s got lots of room to breathe.
- Let sit on counter for 24 to 72 hours. Or place in a warm place like the oven, with the oven OFF. Remember to put a note on your oven door so you do not forget! 🙂
- Your cheese is ready to enjoy when it starts to get stinky. Trust me, you’ll know! Refrigerate as soon as you want it to stop culturing. It should last in the fridge about 2 weeks.